The death toll of the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia rises to nearly 1,350. The international media has confirmed the news citing the country`s disaster management agency.
More than 65,000 homes have been damaged due to the earthquake and tsunami that made more than 60 thousand people homeless. Emergency assistance for the displaced people has become essential.
Jan Gelfand, Head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Country Cluster Support office in Jakarta, said: “The situation in the affected areas is nightmarish."
A magnitude 7.5 earthquake that triggered massive tsunami waves struck on Sulawesi in Indonesia on September 28. The high wave annihilated the coastal area. On Saturday after the tremor and tsunami, many bodies were found on the coast.
National Agency for Disaster Management spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said that the number of deaths in the city of Palu, Dongala, Sigi, Parigi, Muntung has been increasing. So far 799 people have been seriously injured. Many people still trapped under the rubble in Sigi and Balaroa. As a result, the number of deaths may increase further.
Palu, the city of Sulawesi Island was the worst hit in two consecutive natural disasters. There are massive losses of 3 lac 80 thousand people living here.
Rescuers are thinking that many people buried under the crumbled building are still alive. But due to the absence of heavy machinery, the rescue operation is not progressing well after the disaster. Many people are buried under debris in a hotel in Rua Rua Resort in Palu, said the rescuers.
Meanwhile, the aid agencies are struggling to reach the affected areas as the main airport of Palu has been damaged, the roadways have been disconnected and there is no electricity connection.
Many of the residents of the city have been looting the shops for food, water and fuel. They told the journalists that they were doing such work because they were out of food.