Dhaka, Saturday, 21 April 2018
Bangla Insider

70 killed in suspected chemical attack in Syria

International Desk
Published on : 08 April 2018, 10:26 AM
70 killed in suspected chemical attack in Syria

 

At least 70 people were killed in a suspected chemical attack in Douma, the last rebel-held stronghold near Syria`s capital, Damascus. Referring to the rescue workers and doctors, the international media said this.

The White Helmets, a group of rescuers operating in opposition-held areas in Syria, has claimed that the government forces launched this attack and most of the affected were women and children. They also informed that the death toll may rise further as many people are in a critical condition.

A spokeswoman said reports on the ground suggested a much higher number of around 180 dead, but that it was hard to reach victims due to continuous shelling and the time of night.

So far no independent and neutral organization has verified the authenticity of this attack. Meanwhile, Syrian state media denied government forces had used chemical weapons. The Syrian government has called this allegation `fabricated`.

The US State Department said they are closely monitoring this situation. They said if the Syrian government executes this chemical attack, its allies will also be responsible for it. In a statement, they also said the Assad government had earlier carried out chemical attacks on its citizens.

Earlier, UK-based human rights watchdog Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said they had found evidence that at least 11 were victims of the chemical attack. Five of them are children. But the human rights watchdog did not inform about any casualties.

 

BanglaInsider/ SM