The accord between Awami League (AL) and Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) is almost at the closing stage except the barrier of deciding upon the number of seats in the parliament. BNP wants confirmation from AL of 100 seats whereas AL persists on its stance for a free, fair and neutral election.
After the eventful day of March 7, the dialogue between the two parties will proceed. However, no top leaders from any side will participate in the meeting. So, the dialogue of a settlement is holding among the close people of the respective party leaders only. It has been understood that both the parties have substantially reached a conclusion.
Since the imprisonment of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, a dialogue between two advisers of the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and two close relatives of Khaleda Zia were in progress. At the initial stage, the discussion focused on the release of Khaleda only, but with time, the discussion involved the complete scenario of the ongoing political aspect of the country.
Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, BNP’s senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan who is also a standing committee member and Major (retd) Hafizuddin Ahmed have been discussing regularly about the subject matters of the dialogue. BNP Secretary-General has been sharing the topic of this discussion with other leaders too. Sources report, the dialogue between the two parties has reached a 5-point consensus already.
The five-point dialogue includes:
1. Khaleda Zia will get bail from the High Court (HC) in her Zia Orphanage graft case. After the bail, she will not be imprisoned in any other case. And after the release, she will fly to London for medical treatment for an indefinite period of time.
2. Tarique Rahman will not take part in the upcoming general election of the country. However, he may remain as the party chief.
3. BNP will contest in the upcoming general election without including any member of the Zia family. In the place of Khaleda, party Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir will lead the party. The election will be free and fair.
4. The arrested leaders of BNP will be released from prison. The ongoing court cases against the senior leaders of BNP will be rested until the election. No new cases will be filed against them.
5. Khaleda Zia will return to the country after the election is over. While taking legal action against her, she will be given proper respect and be treated according to her status.
However, according to the third point, BNP wants the guarantee of 100 seats in the parliament. The government has made it clear that there will be no staged election. In this respect, BNP proposes that AL will name weak candidates in Bogra, Joypurhat, Satkhira, Rajshahi and other areas where BNP has greater popularity and Sheikh Hasina will not take part in the election campaign. A source has said that BNP is struggling over the 100-seat issue. But, it has been informed that Tarique Rahman has not given his consent to such proposal.
Read In Bangla: http://bit.ly/2oIHY8u